PDA

View Full Version : Perspective - Top 50 with a Leveled Voting Field

thisandthatalicat
07-06-2007, 01:48 PM
See the next post for a table LEVELING THE VOTING FIELD.

The average number of votes received by ALL contenders was about 1423 votes. What if we TOOK AWAY votes from contenders who received more than the average and we GAVE votes to contenders who had less than the average.

Further with this hypothetical, we will say the average rating of the votes taken away or given to contenders was about 8.0.

In my next post below, see the table ordered by largest hypothetical rating to smallest.

thisandthatalicat
07-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Key
===================================
LARGER FONT = a contender in the June 27th Top 15
Blue font = a contender with less votes than the average
Black font = a contender with more votes than the average

http://pokerreviewsvegas.com/images/LeveledVotes1423_1_1.jpg

thisandthatalicat
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
If we take the contenders ranked between 11-39th (ie. leave the top 10 and bottom 10 out), the average hypothetical rating with everyone receiving the same amount of votes was anywhere from 4.3 to 5.0...this is just less than 3/4 of a point variance for 60% of the contestants....barely a significant difference.

So I would not be too surprised if the producers pick, what everyone else thinks is all over the map, finalists not necessarily in the top of the popularity scale...

They are going to chose more on their criteria...afterall it is 70% of the decision. The original top 50 were picked for a reason, they deserved to be there...

Popularity in this case, is hard to determine because I would guess...the voting hinged alot on how well people ALREADY had a network or base of people they could draw from to vote for them....how well would all of us do, if we were not allowed to ask anyone who remotely knew us and were rated by strangers strictly from our videos.

If you have a friend or family person who voted for you...a large percentage of your group of people who voted for you are not really going to spend alot of time critiquing anyone else's video. They'll come, vote between 8-10 for you....maybe a few 1-4s for everyone else, WITHOUT BARELY LOOKING at the other's videos...and leave.

If many of the top 15-20 had a larger base of networked voters to draw from, they would of course have the edge of increasing their rating over the lower half.

...maybe the lower half unfortunately had less saavy computer friends who wanted to vote but didn't know how...I know at least 2 dozen of mine who said they could never get on (c'est la vie for me!).

If everyone had equal amount of votes...the popularity ratings would speak truer.

Cheers,
Alisande

ccschaap
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Alisande,

Does your mind really think like this? Wow!

Very impressive...but I have no idea what you just said! Seriously, your ability to manipulate stats totally blows me away! I'm lucky if I can balance my checkbook! :wink:

Thanks for the input!

Christine

thisandthatalicat
07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Alisande,
.but I have no idea what you just said!

Simpler put:

The popularity ratings really don't mean as much as people would like...some people could have the most boring video or not that creative a video...but if they had a huge network of people who they could tap into to vote for them, their scores would obviously be higher....they simply had more votes...you can't win against that if this show was based on popularity when you barely can garner as many votes as the top guy. ..

So it is more fair that 70% is based on the producer's decision.... you basically hope you have expressed yourself, whether creatively or with passion or sincerity, or clarity, etc. in your video, such that YOU caught the producer's eyes enough for them to chose you.

So what is the popularity for?
I think it is for when the producers had a tough call between 2 or 3 people, WHO WERE SIMILAR, and the voting popularity would give maybe an extra edge enough to help the producers pick between those 2 or 3.

Cheers,
Alisande

ccschaap
07-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Okay...that makes sense! Thanks! :)

thorschrock
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I think it would have been much more interesting and suspenseful if each audition video in round 2 was judged by a panel of Joel's choosing. Their remarks about each video could have been video taped and posted as responses to each audition video.

The judge's scores on each video would be posted and all contestants would be ranked according to their score with the judges.

Then contestants could go out in the public and ask people to visit the audition page and vote for them. Each contestant would know how many votes they needed to influence the results (because voting is valued as 30% of the score).

New vote totals would be released every day or two rather than in real time. The voting bar at the bottom of the video would only appear once the video had completed. People would be FORCED to watch the ENTIRE video before they could vote.

This way the judges' scoring and the reasons behind it are transparent, the effects of public voting are restricted so that only people who watch the video can vote, and everyone knows where they stand at all times.

Would have made for an interesting horse race!

ccschaap
07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm sure that there will be "tweaks" to the format with each successive show that they produce. Taking on a project like this is a HUGE undertaking! Interesting idea though...

Christine

andreamly
07-10-2007, 02:55 AM
well just to clarify :)

I dont have a lot of friends :) and most of them, unfortunately due to the cookie issue in the first round, were too tapped out to bother this second round. One friend sent an email on my behalf but my ranking never changed from it - just my score.

so Allisande, what does that say about me? :wink:

thisandthatalicat
07-11-2007, 06:40 PM
so Allisande, what does that say about me? :wink:
Hi Andrea:

If you'll notice, I took the extreme (top 10 and bottom 10) people out so they wouldn't skew the average results that most of us got.

If you were in the top 10 the whole 2 weeks with the actual results and are STILL in the top 10 after I readjusted the ratings to level all the votes, I would suspect the voting for you was pretty solid and made with more attention...THEREFORE YOU ARE VERY SPECIAL ;)

I also did notice that the top 10 who were constant before and after my hypothetical table even after I readjusted my results..."most" of them, I thought the videos were good, but of course that is my subjective read.

Cheers,
Alisande